Sunday, September 30, 2007

Carol Ann Gotbaum at Sky Harbor

(CNN) -- Phoenix police were investigating Sunday how a 45-year-old woman died over the weekend while in police custody at Phoenix's Sky Harbor International Airport.

Carol Ann Gotbaum, in an undated family photo, may have accidentally strangled herself while in custody.

Carol Ann Gotbaum may have accidentally strangled herself while trying to get out of her handcuffs, Phoenix Police Department spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said Saturday.

"According to investigators, it appeared as though Ms. Gotbaum had possibly tried to manipulate the handcuffs from behind her to the front, got tangled up in the process, and they ended up around her neck area," he said.

Put your hands behind your back, wrist over wrist. Now try to "manipulate the handcuffs from behind you to the front."

I've tried it. IF I weighed 85 lbs and had very long arms, I might be able to put my butt through my arms and bring my handcuffed hands forward, and then up to my teeth, perhaps. But I can't see how I could strangle myself.

Go on, try it. You might try working the cuffs with your teeth. And then, putting your arms behind your neck to use your skull to pop your hands free. But how on earth could you end up in a position that would result in your inextricably choking yourself to death?

Go on, try it, If you can demonstrate a lethal position into which she could get but not get out of, I'll be all ears. Meanwhile, BULLSHIT.

1 comments:

Morgan said...

Oh gosh, I wanna put you in my blog's Good Links!