Thursday, September 6, 2007

Missing Nukes: Oh Say Can You See. . . .

How scared do you wanna be?

Boomers like me have been reading for years of the descent of young America into a pit of ignorance, attention deprivation, distraction, focus challenge. There are exceptions, I know. Thank God. But then there’s the rule, too.

I bring this up in the context of the bombs that went where they weren't supposed to go because nobody had any idea they were where they were, let alone that they weren't where they had been.

I say let’s settle this once and for all. Let’s do a study. Let’s analyze the number of major goofs in the military according to the age of the goofers. My point? If dietary and digital pollution mean that ADD is rising inexorably in the younger cohorts, and if age and Alzheimers are being edited out of the equation through death and retirement, doesn’t this mean that we can expect more episodes of “Sheee-it! THAT’s a nuclear warhead,” said, it is to be prayed, before the thing is airborne. I’m just sayin.

And then there’s this. Do you remember that Air Force guy who went missing with a couple of bombs on his plane? This was oh, maybe 8 or 10 years ago. There was a big hunt for him in the Colorado Rockies, as I recall. Did anybody ever find his bombs? Talk about an Outward Bound challenge.

And this.

A girl just can't find a good vacation place these days.

Let's just say I'm trying a little gallows humor because I don't want to believe these nukes were headed for Iran.

0 comments: