Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pumas and Bigfoots and Loch Ness Monsters

Is there more than one "puma" or is this a media-invented pehnomenon? So far, I've only seen one actual woman who is promising to vote for McCain because Hillary didn't win the nomination.

I'm hearing all kinds of crazy explanations for why a woman who voted for Hillary would be mad enough to vote for McCain now, but none of it makes the slightest bit of sense to me.

I'm even one of that generation who thinks we're about 235 years overdue to elect a woman president, and yet somehow I don't hold Barack personally responsible for Hillary's losing the primaries! Duh.

Even if I did, I wouldn't now turn around and vote for John McCain. That would be like joining Vegetarians for Burger King, or signing up with Log Cabin Republicans, even.

No sane Democratic woman would ever support the Neanderthal the GOP is planning to insert into the White House this fall. This is not a brilliant observation, I know, but it's all I've got, so I'm clearly missing something vital here.

Ideas? Somebody clue me in. I can think of no reason why a disappointed Hillary supporter would vote for John Mccain. But I need to understand what kind of insanity has befallen that poor woman so that if there actually are others, we can take some of it and make a vaccine.

2 comments:

Morning Angel said...

For an interview, PBS tried to find women of 3 flavors, one an Obama supporter, one a Hillary supporter turned to Obama and the third, a Hillary supporter undecided. It was PBS' attempt to honor this weird rumor that Hillary supporters are disaffected. The woman they found to fit the third category, undecided, was lukewarm at best, had no reasons for her position and was obviously going to vote for Obama. IF there were, indeed, women of this ilk on the DNC floor, wouldn't they have found one more adamant in her position?

This rumor can only be from the McCain campaign and the DNC spent even more time squelching it than it was worth.

No Hillary supporter (of which I was one) would abandon his/her positions wholesale for the opposite views of McSame.

It's like refusing to wear shoes while hiking in the desert because you don't like the style. Hillary supporters are not that dumb.

Em in SF said...

They are just playing up the bitter woman (voter) cliche.

Sounds like a story plant to me. That is what McCain's people think of women and their intelligence. Not really a shocker.